Thursday, January 31, 2013

Treadmills suck

I hate running on the treadmill.  I think I've said this before if previous posts.  Or else whined about it on Facebook.  Regardless, if you know me, you know how much I hate running on the treadmill.  There are several reasons for this, but the biggest reason is because it is so BORING!  I just run in place, every step exactly like the last one, staring at the wall of my garage.  The wood grain in one spot looks just like a little alien head.  And there's another spot where there's a sliver of wood sticking out and between that and the shadow it makes, it looks like a barbell with two triangles underneath it.  And I know where every nail is and the shadows they make.  Needless to say, if it weren't for my books on my mp3 player, I don't think I would ever run on the treadmill.  I suppose if I had a TV to watch it would be a little more entertaining, but like I said, the treadmill is in my garage.


So yesterday I chose not to run, even though it wasn't a scheduled rest day.  It was blizzardy out, really windy and sleety-snowy and cold.  I didn't want to run in it.  And I also talked myself out of it because I was feeling a little under the weather.  I'm on the verge of a cold.  And I knew that I didn't feel that bad, and I should have run because a couple days down the line I might be sick enough that I am justified in not running, but yesterday wasn't it.  So I didn't run and I regretted it all day today.

Today is even colder, windchill is 7 below zero and it is again really windy.  Tomorrow is supposed to be even COLDER, with windchills around 20 below and 20mph winds again.  At those temperatures, a run outside is just silly.  I did it last year and the year before that and I'm not sure I really gained anything from it.  It's dangerous to be out when it's that cold, especially if you have any exposed skin.  And it's just absolutely miserable.  You can hardly see, or breath, when the wind is that strong and there's snow blowing around.  Plus the footing is treacherous and cars don't see you because they aren't looking.  So on those days I choose the "dreadmill."

Today I ran 7 miles, tomorrow I will run another 7 miles. I hate how long runs take on the treadmill. Runs of the same distance always seem longer on a treadmill than when they are out on the roads.  But, nevertheless, I got my run in.  So I feel better now.  It should warm up into the 20's by Sunday's long run. 

No comments:

Post a Comment