Sunday, September 19, 2010

Worst Run Ever!

Ugnhhh.  That's all I can say.  Today's 12 mile run was the worst run I've had during the entire training program.  And no, it wasn't my knee.  I had severe stomach pain that almost caused me to stop mid-run.

It was cloudy and breezy, temps in the high 50s, which should have been perfect weather.  The first three miles my knee did hurt, but it wasn't unmanageable, and felt okay.  I don't think it will be an issue for the marathon.  I had a side cramp, and stomach cramp (yes, that's two different cramps).  I put it down to eating too soon before running.  I had an omelet at about 1:00, and ran at 2:30, so I figured that was plenty of time, but perhaps I was wrong.

So after that, my stomach started feeling progressively worse.  With each mile I felt much worse.  I wanted to throw up, just to make myself feel better, but just suffered on, mile by mile.  I was doubled over, couldn't even stand up straight, and my form just fell apart in the last two or three miles.  The last 2 miles were well over 11 minute pace.  It was all I could do to just keep running.  I wanted to walk at 10 miles, but talked myself into running another mile.  Then I wanted to stop at 11 miles, but talked myself into running the last mile since there was only one left- well, jogging it really, slogging along, just barely moving- at least that's how it felt.  I stopped drinking because my stomach felt too full, and I thought drinking would just add to that overful feeling.  I only drank about 3-4 oz the entire 12 miles.  I wonder now if that could have been adding to the stomach issue.  Perhaps I should have drank more and it would have helped.  Well, if it happens again I'll try it.  But for sure, I'm not eating a big meal before I run, not ever again!  Something small is all I need.

After the beginning miles, my legs felt okay, not too sore or tired, except the last two miles when my form fell apart.  I could tell my form was causing some knee pain, but I still couldn't straighten my body out.  But in general, my fitness is there, and I could tell the 12 miles would have felt good, had it not been for that damn stomach issue.

For tonight, I can't even stand the thought of food.  As we speak, I'm drinking a cup of tea, trying to settle my stomach.  I need to buy some Tums next time I go shopping.  I sure hope this is only related to my eating habits today.

Here's hoping that this does NOT happen in two weeks on Marathon Day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment